Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pot Hook

This is an improvised pot hook that I made a while back. It is held together by placing a small wedge into a carved notch at the center of the two hooked pieces. The hooks are made from ironwood/hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) branches, and the wedge is chokecherry (Prunus virginiana).

The next time I make one of these I plan on using a much softer wood. The ironwood/hophornbeam was difficult to carve smoothly, and I think I could make something like basswood (Tilia americana) fit more tightly together. Also the ironwood/hophornbeam checked and warped so badly that the pot hook no longer stays together.

This was a really fun project to work on and helped to improve my dexterity with my knife. Let me know if you have tried anything similar to this, or if I motivate you to try something.

3 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Norseman
Thanks for your kind words
I like your blog too and have added it to my blog roll
cheers
SBW

Michelle said...

I don't know much about pot hooks. Why would you make it two pieces and not just one piece?

Thanks for your blog, very interesting!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I made it a two piece mostly for the challange,and to hone my knife work skills (pun intended). Thanks for your interest in my blog!